Mother of stabbing victim wants second chance for 11-year-old suspect

by: Greg Suskin Updated:


YORK COUNTY, S.C. - An 11-year-old boy charged with stabbing a 15-year-old last month told police he's sorry for what he did.

Now that child will be tested to see if he understands the serious charge against him

York police said the two boys got into a scuffle on Dec. 23 when the victim was hitting the 11-year-old with a hat and wouldn't stop. Police said the younger boy walked home, then returned with a steak knife and stabbed the teen. He was found on the sidewalk, with the knife sticking out of his back.

The victim's mother, Larcharn Hughes, told Channel 9 her son suffered a punctured lung, and spent the week of Christmas in the hospital.

She said he and the suspect were longtime friends, living in the same neighborhood. She was stunned at the attack.

The boy may now be the youngest person ever in South Carolina charged with attempted murder, yet Hughes believes the boy deserves a second chance.

"That's just a baby. He's 11 years old, he doesn't even know the facts of life yet," she said.

York police said they've dealt with the boy since he was only 9 years old. Channel 9 found three police reports for disturbing schools, and two for property damage going back to 2011.

Detective Rich Caddell is working the case for the city of York. He said it's been disturbing for officers.

"As a police officer, it's kind of tough to keep in mind I'm dealing with an 11-year-old child," Caddell said.

On Tuesday, a family court judge in Rock Hill ordered two competency evaluations for the boy, required Department of Social Services agents to do a home study on his living conditions, and ordered that he remain in custody for now.

While the child stays in juvenile detention in Columbia, Hughes said prison isn't what he needs most.

"I wouldn't want to see no 11-year-old go to prison for a long time. I would like to see him get help," she said.

Her 15-year-old son is still dealing with severe pain. He will finally be able to go back to school on Thursday.

There is no future court date set on this case. The boy's public defender said those competency hearings should happen by the end of the month, then there could be a hearing when the results come back.

If convicted, the 11-year-old could be sentenced to prison until he's 21.

Click here to read more on this story.