CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Nathan Ward Kocmond, 16, who was last seen at his home on Kennington Court on Monday was found dead in Montgomery County, sources said.
A hiker discovered the boy’s body Friday morning in the Uwharrie National Forest. He died from an apparent suicide, according to initial reports by investigators.
Kocmond missed a scheduled meeting Monday night and his cell phone has been turned off.
His mother said her son ran away about a year ago.
"It’s this haunting sense of (not) knowing, and not being able to have any questions answered,” the mother said. “And there's no way for us to locate him. All we can do is keep spreading the word."
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- MISSING: Police need public's help finding Charlotte 16-year-old
- Ex-boyfriend suspected in Pitt student's death arrested in Myrtle Beach
- WATCH: Keith Monday's Wednesday forecast outlook
- #CLTisPrime: City brainstorms ways to lure Amazon to Charlotte
- CMPD investigating after woman's body found beneath I-77 bridge
- Woman spends thousands on dating service, matched for one date
© 2017 Cox Media Group.