8-year-old boy saves mom in house fire

by: Dave Faherty Updated:

Loading

LENOIR, N.C. - An 8-year-old boy in Lenoir is being called a hero after family members say he woke his mother after noticing their home was on fire.

The boy forced open the front door Tuesday morning after waking to flames and smoke spreading through his mother's home, said his mother's boyfriend, Johnny Bumgarner.

Megan Stanfield suffered second- and third-degree burns to nearly one-third of her body after the home caught fire while she and her son slept.

"He's a hero," Bumgarner said. "He saved his mama's life. They say he's the reason she woke up."

Fire investigators believe the fire was accidental, starting in a part of the home where they say Stanfield was asleep.
Family members said in the confusion she went looking for her son before getting out.

"My wife and I prayed about it this morning," said neighbor Johnny Hicks.

Neighbors said they are praying for the single mother, who had bought Christmas gifts last week for her son.
Now those gifts are gone and fortunately, the boy was not injured.

Bumgarner says the two escaped with only the clothes they were wearing.

"Just making sure that boy has a Christmas is the main thing," Bumgarner said. "And keep him and her in your prayers."

To see more local news stories, click here.