CHARLOTTE, N.C. - A Charlotte church is trading gift cards for guns in order to help get them off the streets.
The New Life Fellowship church in the Double Oaks community is accepting guns in exchange for groceries, toys or gas.
The gun drive at 1337 Samuel Street ends Saturday at 12 p.m.
Organizers said all weapons will be turned over to Charlotte-Mecklenburg police to be destroyed.
A handgun will get you $25 to $50. Automatic rifles or assault rifles are worth $50 to $100 gift cards.
Here are some guidelines to follow:
- Remove all ammo before you arrive at church
- Gun must be placed in clear plastic bag
- Ammunition must be placed in separate plastic bag
- Do not pull vehicle in front of church doors
- To speed up process, call 704-377-7030 before arriving
- After you receive gift card you must leave immediately
- You will not be able to purchase gun or ammo with card
- No more than five guns per person
- Security will be on premises
- No questions asked or info required
To see more local news stories, click here.
Charlotte church trading gift cards for guns
Police investigating after elderly cousins found dead of 'unnatural causes'
Voters dealing with long lines as early voting gets underway in NC
Bank places 'lucky pennies' in Charlotte worth $1,000 each
U.S. postal worker dumps bins of mail into Georgia woods