by: Peter Daut Updated:
CHARLOTTE, N.C. - A Charlotte high school teacher is recovering from a venomous snake bite.
Though her right foot is still swollen, Chiquita Boyd said it looks and feels much better than when she first got to CMC University.
The 29-year-old English teacher at North Mecklenburg High School was getting out of the car Thursday at her parents' home in northeast Charlotte when she said a copperhead snake attacked. Boyd had flip-flops on, and was running inside to avoid the rain. She said she suddenly felt a sharp pain in her foot that quickly grew worse.
"It was a combination of every pain you've had put together," Boyd said.
Before getting help, Boyd said she saw the snake, which her father later killed with a shovel. She immediately put ice on the bite, which doctors do not advise. Instead, she should have cleaned the area with soap and water and kept her foot elevated. But she did the right thing by calling 911.
Copperheads are the main venomous snake in our region, and cause the most snake bites. Their bites are rarely deadly.
Boyd said the hospital gave her several anti-venom treatments and pain medication.
She is expected to make a full recovery, and hopes everyone can be more careful with where they step.
"It could be you. As rare as it may seem, it may not be that rare when it's in your back door, or it's your child, so be aware," Boyd said.
Charlotte woman recovering from snake bite
Family defends SC woman accused of putting 4-day-old son in refrigerator
Surgical assistant arrested in drug trafficking scheme, Rowan Co. deputies say
Surveillance video catches group of women breaking into cars in Charlotte
Autopsy reveals CMPD recruit died from overheating