by: Kathryn Burcham Updated:
CHARLOTTE, N.C. - CMPD is investigating allegations of child neglect after a
9-month-old baby is found alone inside an apartment where a fire had broken out.
Police said the infant's mother was at work, and that the baby's grandmother was supposed to be watching her.
Detectives said the grandmother had left a pot heating on the stove while the baby was sleeping, and then left the apartment.
Neighbors in an adjoining apartment smelled smoke wafting through the vents and went to investigate.
"I thought she took the baby but come to find out the baby was up there the whole time," said neighbor Elexis Lindsay.
Neighbor Davon Morgan told a maintenance worker to called 911 and then went inside the smoke-filled apartment to see if anyone was there.
Morgan told Eyewitness News he was shocked to find the
9-month baby alone inside.
"I'm surprised, astounded to tell you the
Fire crews arrived to extinguish the small fire and MEDIC took the baby to CMC to be treated for smoke inhalation.
Police on scene said child neglect charges against the grandmother were likely.
A family member told Channel 9 the grandmother often looks after children in the home and he said he was shocked by the allegations.
"[She] is a good grandmother, a very good grandmother," said Isaiah Dutpeh.
CMPD investigates 9-month-old baby left alone in apartment fire
Man barricaded inside pawn shop surrenders after hours-long standoff
Woman shot, killed while in town for sister-in-law's funeral, police say
Mother, 2 toddlers among 5 hospitalized in hit-and-run collision
Police search for man accused of assaulting female at Rock Hill Golden Corral