KANNAPOLIS, N.C. - A portion of Interstate 85 near Kannapolis will be closed in successive weeks to allow for the demolition of a bridge.
The North Carolina Department of Transportation said a 5-mile stretch of I-85 in Rowan and Cabarrus counties between Lane Street and N.C. 152 will be closed in the northbound lane beginning Thursday and lasting through Saturday.
The same 5-mile stretch in the southbound lanes will be closed from Sept. 19 through Sept. 22.
The work is part of the I-85 Corridor project, which involves replacing and rebuilding several bridges over the interstate. It's also adding four travel lanes, two in each direction, to an 8-mile stretch of the interstate in the two counties to improve traffic flow.
The entire project is scheduled for completion in November 2019.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Union Co. communities mourn 3 young people killed in crashes
- 5 dead after Florida nursing home left without power by Irma
- Mayor Pro Tem Lyles defeats incumbent Mayor Roberts in primary
- WATCH: Keith Monday's Wednesday forecast outlook
- Arrest made after man shot to death inside car; Charlotte's 64th homicide
Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.