by: Dave Faherty Updated:BURKE COUNTY, N.C. —
Firefighters faced a large fire at a home along Deerfield lane south of Morganton.
Three fire departments worked for nearly an hour to bring that fire under control.
The homeowner said her smoke alarm woke her up.
"It was going off and I could see the smoke when I woke up," said Linda Davis.
Davis said she had only minutes to get out, escaping with what she was wearing and some of her medication.
Firefighters said her husband turned their furnace on before he left for work this morning.
Two hours after that, firefighters received the call for help.
They believe the fire started in the same room where the furnace is located.
Fire investigators told Eyewitness News that it is a good idea to have your heating and air units checked this time of year.
"There is a lot of dust that builds up on those filters. If the filters are not able to pull air through and breath then it is going to overheat," said Chad Houston, Burke County Fire Investigator.
Monday afternoon, firefighters told us the fire has been ruled accidental and did involve the heating unit.
Family members said there is heavy damage inside the home from all the smoke.
Davis is thankful she is alive on Monday night.
She believes her smoke alarm and her faith kept her safe.
"God has brought me through so much. He had to be the one who woke me up," said Davis.
While Eyewitness News was on scene, we could see not only family members and friends helping the couple but also members of their church bringing clothes and other items after the early-morning fire.
Firefighters: Weather possible factor in Burke Co. house fire
Man charged with assaulting flight attendant onboard Charlotte flight
Treatment of brain-eating amoeba underway at Whitewater Center
Mother, boyfriend accused of keeping children chained inside north…
Fallen firefighters, officers honored in bike ride across the Carolinas