Investigators: Battery jumper box sparked body shop fire

by: Trish Williford Updated:


CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Dozens of firefighters responded to the scene of a fire that destroyed a body shop in northeast Charlotte Wedneday night.

Officials said Thursday the cause of the fire was an unattended battery jumper box charging a vehicle in the shop area. The damage was estimated at $115,000.

Flames broke out at Lopez Body Shop on Atando Avenue, just off North Tryon Street, around 8:30 p.m. and it firefighters were able to extinguish the fire within an hour. There were no reported injuries.

As firefighters were battling the blaze, they noticed one of the firefighters was unaccounted for. 
That's when they set off a third alarm for the fire and searched for him.
“We evacuated the building. The tones were sounded, everyone came outside. That firefighter was quickly located and accounted for and we resumed firefighter operations,” said Capt. Dennis Gist with the Charlotte Fire Department.
The road was shut down after the blaze.

Check back with for updates on this story.