CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Police told Channel 9 that a teenage driver was killed after a car hit a bridge and flipped along the John Belk Freeway near uptown overnight.
Eyewitness News was first to arrive on the scene on the outer loop under the Seventh Street bridge just before 2 a.m.
Investigators said 16-year-old William Blottman was driving a 2005 Toyota Avalon east on the John Belk Freeway at a high rate of speed when he lost control and slammed into a pillar of the Seventh Street bridge.
Paramedics pronounced Blottman dead at the scene. Officers said he was not wearing a seatbelt and that speed played a role in the wreck. Nobody else was in the car.
Police were able to reopen the roadway just before 5:30 a.m.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- 75 schools impacted by proposed CMS school assignment plan
- Teacher allegedly had sex with 4 students, including 2 at same time
- VIDEO: Keith Monday's Wednesday forecast
- Pair of kayakers rescued after stranded in swollen Rocky River
- Scattered chicken parts close I-77 in Davidson for hours
- WATCH: Dale Earnhardt Jr. announces retirement
© 2018 Cox Media Group.