by: Greg Suskin Updated:
YORK COUNTY, S.C. - Dyquane Billings, 20, and two 16-year-olds, Trevante Bryant and Tevin Hindmon are all charged.
Deputies have linked them to eight armed robberies across three counties.
York County Sheriff's deputies said the trio, all from Rock Hill, began robbing stores with a gun one week ago on Thursday.
Even sheriff's deputies were surprised at the speed and number of crimes.
"Eight's a lot. Especially to have them back to back to back," said Trent Faris with the York County Sheriff's Department.
Several law enforcement agencies worked closely together on these cases, sharing information and surveillance video.
In most of the robberies a suspect walked into a store with a gun wrapped in a red bandana, and also wearing a red bandana and a red cap.
Around 3:30 Tuesday morning, after hitting the Circle K in south Charlotte, deputies said the group went to the Kangaroo Express on Carowinds Boulevard.
According to the report, the clerk was outside taking a smoke break, and looked back inside to see the suspect at the register, punching the buttons.
He ran out, and jumped into a waiting car as the clerk chased him for a short distance.
Moments later a deputy stopped a potential suspect car on I-77, a silver Infiniti. They did a felony traffic stop and found all three suspects inside, as well as the gun, and the red bandana worn in nearly every crime.
Tuesday afternoon, when Channel 9 informed one clerk in fort mill about the arrests, she jumped up and down and yelled the news to the other workers in the store.
Deputies are just thankful, no one was hurt.
"It's good to get them off the street now, before they decided, 'Oh, this next clerk wasn't going to cooperate with them, and then whatever could've happened," Faris said.
All three suspects are still in jail awaiting bond hearings. The two teens are being charged as adults.
Convenience Store Robberies:
• 5-26-2014: Quick Trip – 664 North Anderson Road, Rock Hill, SC
• 5-27-2014: Quick Trip – 9565 Charlotte Highway, Indian Land, SC
• 5-29-2014: Quick Trip – 4020 Charlotte Highway, Lake Wylie, SC
• 5-30-2014: Quick Trip – 9565 Charlotte Highway, Indian Land, SC
• 5-30-2014: Sunoco/Sam’s Mart – 2891 W. Hwy. 160 Fort Mill, SC
• 5-30-2014: BP/Times Turnaround – 1010 Carolina Pl. Fort Mill, SC
• 6-3-2014: Convenience Store, Charlotte, NC
• 6-3-2014: Kangaroo Express – 3473 N. Hwy 21, Fort Mill, SC