by: Trish Williford Updated:
IREDELL COUNTY, N.C. - Authorities took a man into custody Thursday night following a chase that led to a three-hour standoff in Iredell County near a rest stop on Interstate 77.
The man surrendered peacefully.
About 3:30 p.m., James Keith Call of Hiddenite robbed an individual at the intersection of Old Mountain Road and Hickory Highway, according to authorities.
He got away in a dump truck he stole from his employeer earlier after being fired.
The officers who were on the scene of the robbery saw the dump truck and chased him through Statesville down Interstate 77.
Stop sticks were deployed and blew out the right front tire of the truck.
He pulled into a rest area near mile marker 39 on I-77 north, hit a guard rail and crashed.
Call was charged with possession of a stolen vehicle, armed robbery and numerous traffic violations.
“Anytime you're dealing with an individual that's held up, whether in a house or vehicle and he's armed -- naturally it's going to be tense,” said Major Marty Byers with the Iredell County Sheriff’s Office.
He had a weapon but never pointed it at deputies.
Authorities said they were in a similar situation with Call more than 15 years ago.
VIDEO UPDATES FROM DEVELOPING STORY:
- 6 p.m. UPDATE: Authorities surround dump truck on I-77
- 5:30 p.m. update: Officials say chase started after armed robbery in Statesville
- 5:15 p.m. update: Officials say chase started after armed robbery
- VIEWER VIDEO: Dump truck surrounded on I-77 near Mooresville
- RAW: Chopper 9: Authorities surround dump truck
- 4:55 PM UPDATE: Chopper pilot Andy Holt over scene after I-77 chase
- 4:50 PM UPDATE: Deputies surround dump truck after chase
Police: Driver in chase, standoff stole dump truck from work
High Court reinstates Trump travel ban, will hear arguments
Police: Facebook post led to fight, shooting that left Rock Hill teen dead
Mom of teen found a year after disappearing: 'It's a dream come true'
Firefighters battle intense wildfires in Utah, California