BURK COUNTY, N.C. - An elderly woman and her Burke County family were able to escape an overnight fire that destroyed her home in Glen Alpine.
Family members told Channel 9 that the fire started around midnight, near a dryer in the house.
Firefighters were then called back to the home around 7 a.m. after a second fire ignited.
Breaking Burke- fire destroys home in Glen Alpine. 84-year old woman and others escape unharmed. pic.twitter.com/DFSXbaSTBc— Dave Faherty (@FahertyWSOC9) March 20, 2017
Officials said that a man living in the house alerted his elderly mother and other family members to get out.
The Red Cross is assisting the family with a place to stay.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Business owners taking action after 5 stabbed at hookah bar
- Tips pour in after teen taken by teacher triggers nationwide alert
- Busy University City road closed after crash knocks out power to hundreds
- VIDEO: Vicki Graf's first day of spring forecast
- Man on run after attempted 'execution-style' slaying in Badin
© 2017 Cox Media Group.
Elderly woman, family escape after fire breaks out inside Burke Co. home
The Latest: 'Bathroom law' compromise approved by Senate
Gastonia man faces murder charge after Mount Holly shooting
15-year-old drove minivan during chase, deadly crash, sources say
13 killed, 2 hurt when church bus and truck crash in Texas