by: Tina Terry Updated:
STATESVILLE, N.C. - The family of a Statesville woman is calling for justice one year after she was hit and killed, then left in the middle of a busy highway.
Investigators still haven't made an arrest in Christine Ramseur's case.
"It's rough, it's very rough. I lay at home crying at night because I miss her."
For one year, Teresa Rankins has lived without her daughter. It's been hard for her entire family.
“We want answers. We want to know more information about it,” she said.
Ramseur was walking near U.S. 70 and Stayme Farm Road when troopers said a driver hit her and took off.
Read our past coverage: Troopers search for driver who allegedly hit, killed 23-year-old Saturday
Family members said Ramseur was at a house party that night. Since then they've learned she'd gotten into an argument with someone and left the party on foot.
They believe the driver who hit her may have done it on purpose.
They said a cross they put up in her memory over the weekend was run over.
"You could see the tire marks. I believe someone did it intentionally," Rankins said.
Channel 9 asked North Carolina Highway Patrol troopers if this could have been intentional. They said they wouldn't discount the theory, but that's not the only angle they're investigating.
Family members said they hope the person responsible will come forward.
“Go and turn yourself in whoever did this,” Rankins said. "If it takes 20 years, this not (going) away. I'm not (going to) let go, because I'm hurting."
Family members also said they're frustrated because some of the calls they've made to troopers haven't been returned.
A trooper told Eyewitness News it's policy to follow up with every phone call, but he did promise to look into the matter.
Family asks for answers year after fatal hit-and-run
Meck. County: 1,200 patients impacted after information mistakenly sent to media
Investigators find body in makeshift grave in Statesville woods
DA dismisses charges against third suspect in 90-year-old's death
The Latest: 13 states back Trump travel ban in appeals court