by: Catherine Bilkey Updated:
LINCOLN COUNTY, N.C. - A Lincoln County family is without a home after a fire on Christmas. The homeowner told Eyewitness News it was a chimney fire that spread quickly through the attic. He was able to get out of the home, along with his wife, four kids and their grandmother.
The first fire trucks showed up just before 7 p.m. and called for backup.
"It's such a big house," Mike Turner, assistant chief at East Lincoln Fire Department, said. "We'd get it extinguished on one side of the house, and it would move to the other side. It worked its way around us several times."
Nearly 50 firefighters were needed to get the fire under control.
Trucks were lined up a mile down the road, prepared to bring in more water since there wasn't a hydrant near the home off of Ivey Meadow Lane. Some left Christmas with their own families to help the Lincoln County family.
"We were on our way home from a Christmas gathering," Jennifer Hybarger, wife of one of the firefighters, said. "I feel heartbroken for the family."