Updated:BELMONT, N.C. —
A wrongful death lawsuit has been filed against the city of Belmont and two Belmont officers by the family of Donna Jean Deitz, according to Channel 9’s partners at the Gaston Gazette.
The 60-year-old Deitz was riding as a passenger in a car driven by former Belmont Mayor Kevin Loftin in February of 2012. A car driven by Lester Norman, Jr. -- who was being chased by Belmont police officers -- crashed into their car, killing both Deitz and Loftin.
The lawsuit claims the checkpoint and police chase that led to Deitz’s death were improper and unsafe.
The lawsuit was filed in December, but not officially served on the city until last week, said Belmont City Manager Barry Webb. “The city’s response will be handled by an attorney assigned by our liability insurance carrier,” he said.
Click here to read the entire story.
Family files lawsuit against city, police two years after fatal wreck
Officials: 2 adults, 1 child dead after drowning at Lake Norman State Park
2 dead, up to 17 injured in Florida nightclub shooting, reports say
Hillary Clinton to campaign in Charlotte Monday, Trump visits Tuesday
Georgia news anchor falls to death from NC waterfall