by: Tina Terry Updated:
CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Family members demanded answers Wednesday after police said a 9-month-old boy died of a drug overdose.
Police said the little boy, Kaleb Lowery, died in July.
Police came to a south Charlotte neighborhood and found the 9-month old unresponsive. A court document said the boy was in "cardiac arrest." He died and a toxicology report showed there were two lethal doses of medication in his system.
One drug is called Amitriptyline used to treat depression. The other drug called Diphenhydramine is often used to treat allergies.
Kaleb's stepgrandmother, Charlene Workman, was arrested and charged with involuntary manslaughter. Police said they found the antidepressant drug inside of her house the day Kaleb died. They said it was prescribed to her.
Kaleb's father told Eyewitness News he was incarcerated when his son died and his father and stepmother had temporary custody of both of his kids.
"I don't know the whole story. I don't know what to tell you other than they had them at the time. They've had them since March of this year," said Jarred Workman.
He said he wants to know what happened. His step mother was released from jail last week on bond. She has a court date scheduled for early October.
Family wants answers after 9-month-old dies of drug overdose
Gunman on the loose after woman, 3-year-old shot to death in Shelby
Mother hit and killed by car at Union Co. school bus stop, deputies say
Missing teenager connected to Charlotte murder investigation in Texas jail
DMV revokes Auto House's dealer's license after purposely mislabeling vehicles