by: Andrew Doud Updated:
MATTHEWS, N.C. - It was not the start to a New Year Heather Walker was hoping for.
"We lost everything. We have nothing," Walker said.
a.m. Monday, she got a call from her neighbor, Ray McMillan.
"When I looked out the window, I seen fire coming out of her bathroom window and I didn't know if anyone was home or not so I grabbed the phone and called 911," McMillan said.
Walker lives in the house with her
three children. None of them was home at the time.
When the fire department arrived, McMillan said the trailer was engulfed in flames.
Today, friends and neighbors came by to see what they could do to help.
Walker and her
daughter, Holly, pulled one thing after another out of the house; burnt clothes, passports and photos.
said it's been a difficult few years. Holly has been battling leukemia for the last 2 years.
"She just got clear last month. Her test came back and she's all clear of cancer," Walker said.
While she thinks there are very few items they can keep -- she's grateful the flames didn't take what's most important.
"I just, I hope this would never happen to anyone else and it's very devastating," Walker said.
Fire burns mobile home near Mint Hill Road
Teen shot to death behind school posts video of final moments
Organization requests hate crime probe after Charlotte Muslim woman threatened
CMPD: 14-year-old reportedly sexually assaulted by 2 male juveniles at…
Man accused of murder during uptown protest had no intention of killing,…