by: Mark Becker Updated:
CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Dozens of students rushed out of class Thursday after a health inspector uncovered high carbon monoxide levels inside the cafeteria.
A health inspector at the school to check the cafeteria discovered the potentially dangerous levels of carbon monoxide.
“So what we've done is evacuate that section of the school and move them over to another section where levels are normal,” Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools spokeswoman Renee McCory said.
The school called in the fire department and Channel 9 could see from Chopper 9 Skyzoom as they rolled in a fan to ventilate the building. They were also checking carbon monoxide levels throughout the school.
IMAGES: Carbon monoxide alert at middle school
Shortly after noon, students were filing back into the building to rooms were the carbon monoxide levels were safe.
It was about the time parents started showing up.
“My sister called me. I got three kids to go here so I hopped on up to see what was going on,” said parent Edward Wilmore.
Wilmore spoke with police, who told him his kids and the others were safe.
At that point, most parents hadn't heard what was going on.
Denise Kelly had come to help her daughter fill out some paperwork.
“Because nobody told me anything, I'm very concerned. I hope she's OK,” she said.
It was almost 2 p.m. before the office was cleared and the school could send out a message to parents.
By the time school let out, most parents we spoke with had heard what happened, and were satisfied that the school had handled it well.
“As long as my daughter's straight, I’m good. She said they handled it all professionally. It wasn't erratic or nothing they got all the kids out safely so I’m not disappointed at all,” said parent Jeff Cunningham.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
Health inspector detects elevated CO levels at school
Suspect in custody with East Meck student's fatal shooting, sources say
Arrest made after man hit, killed by truck on I-85 following argument
Visitor restrictions go into effect Friday at local hospitals due to flu
Dakota Access oil pipeline camp cleared of protesters