CLEVELAND COUNTY, N.C. - A Cleveland County school is starting Christmas Break early because nearly one-third of its students have the flu.
Thomas Jefferson Classical Academy officials told Channel 9’s partners at The Shelby Star that 300 students are out sick. The school canceled classes Thursday and Friday.
Meanwhile, at least one North Carolina hospital has implemented visitor restrictions to stop the spread of the flu. A Fayetteville hospital is banning children under 12 and limiting emergency department patients.
According to the Department of Health, four people have died from the flu in North Carolina and seven in South Carolina.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Family blames older brother for death of teen shot, killed during home break-in
- Concord man charged in 1996 homicide
- Deputies find 75 pounds of pot during Cleveland Co. traffic stop
- FORECAST: More clouds, slightly cooler temps around Queen City
- Layaway angel hands out $100 to 6 women at Gastonia Walmart