CLEVELAND COUNTY, N.C. - Cleveland County high school athletes are not allowed on their football field for six months after a prank involving goats caused a health scare.
Goats grazing in the field Thursday night are the reason Burns High football players won’t be able to step foot on their own field.
"They had talked about doing a senior prank, but nobody thought that it would be this serious," said student Tori Horn.
The school prank happened last Friday when 10 to 12 goats were released into Ron Greene Stadium.
The animals made enough of a mess that health officials became concerned. The decision was made to close the stadium to all students for six months.
“I'm a soccer player, so soccer season is coming up, and yeah, everybody's not too happy about that,” Horn said.
The safety precaution comes after an E. coli outbreak linked to the Cleveland County Fair.
The health department reported 104 people became sick with E. coli.
"I think it's crazy man,” said 17-year-old Jaylin Hill, who plays on the football team.
He is upset he won’t get to walk back on the field this year.
"The people that put the goats on the field, they kinda messed up everything,” Hill said.
One parent said at the end of the day, it’s about putting the students’ health first.
Football field closed after health scare from goats
Death toll in California warehouse fire rises to 33, officials say
7-year-old girl dies after Salisbury home sprayed with bullets, police say
Driver charged after one killed in north Charlotte wreck, police say
North Mecklenburg Rescue Squad to stop serving Huntersville after town…