by: Catherine Bilkey Updated:
YORK COUNTY, S.C. - An elderly man was able to save his wife from a fire in their home before being killed in the blaze Wednesday night, according to fire officials.
Investigators said 84-year-old Kenneth Sloan went back inside the house on Williams Road, just outside Fort Mill, after making sure his wife got out around 7:30 p.m.
Firefighters said he was overcome by smoke and died.
Neighbors told Channel 9 that the couple was thinking about moving into an assisted living center.
Sloan's wife was in the hospital but expected to be OK.
Investigators said a bad wire in a lift-assist chair sparked and caught fire.
Man dies after saving wife from York Co. house fire
Videos of deadly encounter between CMPD officer, Keith Scott released
MINUTE-BY-MINUTE: CMPD chief says Keith Scott had gun, marijuana
Keith Scott's fingerprints, DNA, blood found on gun, police sources say
GRAPHIC: Family releases cellphone video of deadly Charlotte police encounter