CONCORD, N.C. - A high school in Concord was placed on lockdown Thursday afternoon due to what school officials described as “an issue in the community.”
Jay M. Robinson High School was put on lockdown just after noon.
Deputy Chief Allen Overcash with the Concord Police Department told Channel 9 that an incident with a student led the principal to place the school on lockdown but that he did not know anything more about the incident.
A few extra officers were sent to the school but no violence had been reported. The lockdown was lifted around 1:30 p.m., according to school officials.
Officials said the school was put on lockdown as a precautionary measure after they were notified about some concerning tweets.
Parents said the tweets came from a student but the school could not confirm that with us.
The lockdown at the high school was lifted after Concord police investigated and resolved an issue with a student off school grounds, according to officials.
Students said at first they thought the lockdown was just a drill.
“And then it started prolonging. And that's when people thought this is for real, something is going on now,” student Nick Esasky said.
The school district said they take all threats seriously. Tonight on Eyewitness News at 10 and 11, Channel 9 is speaking with parents about what they want done.
Lockdown lifted at Jay M. Robinson High School
Man barricaded inside pawn shop surrenders after hours-long standoff
Woman shot, killed while in town for sister-in-law's funeral, police say
911 call: "A car just came through and hit multiple people, hurry there…
More than 60 South Carolina roads, bridges still closed after Matthew