by: Tina Terry Updated:
STATESVILLE, N.C. - After months of delays, a judge decided more than a dozen families in Statesville will lose their homes to foreclosure due to an unpaid construction loan that was issued before they ever moved in.
The families in the Fox Den neighborhood will have to move out of their homes, which are scheduled to be sold at the end of next month.
In the courtroom Tuesday afternoon, the families affected were outraged.
Earlier in the day, Lynn Zanotti and her husband, Allan, were ready for Tuesday’s hearing.
Her family and others said they hoped it would bring an end to months of worrying about the future of their homes.
The Zanottis and 17 other families received a letter last summer saying they'd have to pay more than $4 million or face foreclosure.
The debt was from an unpaid construction loan nearly 10 years ago.
Last year, the plaintiff argued it had a provision in the loan documents saying any piece of property that was sold from Fox Den would require its release. Attorneys for the plaintiff said none of the homes was properly released.
Families said they hoped for a swift resolution so they could get on with their lives.
Judge tells Statesville families facing foreclosure they must go
Charlotte attorney disbarred after being accused of having sex with…
Composite sketch released in connection with 80-year-old's shooting death
Paramedic charged with stealing drugs meant for patients
Tribute, vigil planned this week for Olympic High basketball player