KANNAPOLIS - Kannapolis firefighters responded to an apartment fire at The Villas at Forrest Park around 3:30 Saturday morning. While searching for victims Ladder 14 found an unresponsive woman on the floor and immediately carried her down the stairwell to the exterior of the building. She was transported to a local hospital.
Firefighters credit the building’s sprinkler and alarm systems for containing the fire and alerting other occupants to evacuate.
Fire and heat damage was limited to one apartment, but there was smoke in several other areas. Occupants impacted by the fire are being assisted by the American Red Cross. The Concord Fire Department assisted with the fire, while an additional Cabarrus County EMS unit assisted on the scene with medical monitoring of fire personnel. Landis and Odell fire departments assisted with station coverage.
The Kannapolis Fire Risk Deduction Division has concluded that the cause of the fire was improperly discarded smoking material.