• Lab protocol changes after Boone hotel deaths


    BOONE, N.C. - Three carbon monoxide deaths in a Boone hotel room have prompted changes to the state's lab protocols.

    The Watauga Democrat reports medical examiners must now submit a history along with the samples they give to the toxicology lab, and they can request quicker tests for carbon monoxide.

    The Watauga County Health Department said that may have prevented an 11-year-old's death in June.

    Jeffrey Williams died in the same Best Western hotel room where Daryl and Shirley Jenkins died two months before.

    Next Up: