Man accused of killing 2 in Florida arrested in Charlotte

Updated:

Loading

CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Law enforcement officials from multiple agencies tracked down and arrested a man Saturday morning in west Charlotte that they said killed two people in Florida earlier this week.

U.S. Marshals, with the help of Mecklenburg County sheriff’s deputies and Charlotte-Mecklenburg police officers, located and arrested 32-year-old David Junior Lopez on Marlowe Avenue early Saturday morning.

Officials said Lopez was wanted in Orlando for outstanding warrants, charging him with two counts of first-degree murder and one count of attempted murder. Authorities said the crimes happened on August 5.

Law enforcement was able to find Lopez’s car Friday night in Charlotte and upon further investigation, found him at a home in the 2500 block of Marlowe Ave.

Lopez was immediately arrested and taken to the Mecklenburg Co. Jail where he will be held pending further court proceedings.

Channel 9 spoke with the homeowner, who said Lopez is his wife's cousin, and they didn't know he was wanted by police.

“I didn't know he was in any kind of trouble or I wouldn't have let him stay. They can't bring that trouble here," he said.

Investigators had a car with Florida tags towed from the driveway Saturday afternoon.

Channel 9 was told it was the car Lopez used to drive from Orlando. He's also charged with possession of stolen property.

Channel 9’s sister station in Orlando, WFTV, reported three people were shot at the Misty Oaks Apartments in Orange County on August 5. Two of those people -- 27-year-old Amanda Johnson and 32-year-old Ron Williams -- died.

Investigators said Lopez is connected to that case. Police also arrested another man in Orlando Friday -- James Stewart -- who they said is connected to the murders. Stewart was arrested after barricading himself in a home. Authorities are not looking for any more suspects in the case.

Sign up for breaking news alerts, click here.