LENOIR - North Catawba Fire-Rescue responded to a call for service on Friday night at 1430 Hoyle Drive.
A 52-year-old Lenoir man was injured when a mortar-style firework exploded, a captain told Channel 9.
The patient was flown by Carolinas Medical Center helicopter due to the extent of his injuries. The captain said he may have been taken to the Burn Center at North Carolina Baptist Hospital.
According to the captain, the style of fireworks used is illegal in North Carolina.
He encourages everyone to leave fireworks to professionals and watch a fireworks show instead of lighting them in the backyard.
Man seriously injured after firework explodes
Remains of Erica Parsons discovered five years after she disappeared
Lanesboro prison staff members stabbed by inmates, airlifted to hospital
Weapon found on Rocky River High School campus, officials say
Sponsored: Golf with Braylon Beam, celebrities to fight childhood cancer