Man speaks on gang leader accused of NC man's kidnapping

by: Catherine Bilkey Updated:

Loading

CHARLOTTE, N.C. - The FBI is looking for one man wanted in connection with the kidnapping of a prosecutor’s father in Wake Forest. Investigators have identified the two suspects as Jakym Camel Tibbs and Quantavious Thompson. They believe a high-ranking member of the Bloods street gang, Kelvin Melton, serving life in prison, ordered the kidnapping.
 
Frank Janssen, the man abducted, is the father of the prosecutor who put Melton behind bars. Eyewitness News was contacted by the victims in that case from 2011. They’re scared for their lives as well. Eyewitness News is protecting their identities.
 
In 2011, Melton targeted his ex's new boyfriend.
 
“He had been saying ' Oh you like him? Well, you ain't going to like him when I put him in a wheelchair,’" the victim said.
 
On Sept. 13, Melton almost came through on that promise when he ordered the victim to be shot and killed
 
“One went through my hand, hit my teeth, ricocheted, went through my tongue into my mouth,” the victim said. “That's how I got hit in the throat.”
 
While he was preparing for trial, the victim learned Melton may be ordering another hit on him at his work so he quit his job. Melton was eventually convicted and sentenced to life. The victim thought he was done with Melton.
 
“I didn't think about him doing it,” the victim said. “I thought he locked up. He got life; he gone."
 
But years later, he knows Melton is still very active behind bars. His family found out last week their prosecutor's father was kidnapped when they saw it on the news. That’s when they found out Melton had access to a phone. That's how investigators say he ordered the kidnapping.
 
The victim says he called the DA’s office in Raleigh. Eyewitness News did too, to find out why the victim and his family weren't notified immediately and why they haven't been relocated or given special protection.
 
“The secretary [in the DA's office] called me and she said the family was alright, everybody was alright and for me to call her if something happened,” the victim said.
 
His family doesn’t want to wait for something to happen.
 
“He's orchestrating things from the inside just like he did from the outside,” the victim’s mother said. “And nobody is doing anything about it.”
 
They're worried they're next.
 
The family doesn't think they've been protected. Eyewitness News hasn’t heard back from the DA’s office in Raleigh yet on why the family hasn’t been relocated.

 

TIMELINE

2011 – Kelvin Melton ordered subordinate to kill ex-girlfriend’s new boyfriend in Raleigh, according to trial testimony.

2012 - Melton sentenced to life for ordering hit on Raleigh man.

2012 – Melton sends handwritten note stating prosecutor did not follow proper legal procedure.

2013 – 747 mobile phones confiscate from inmates in NC prisons. Melton used cellphone, exchanging at least 123 calls and text messages, to communicate with alleged kidnappers, according to FBI.

April 5 – Frank Arthur Janssen, father of prosecutor, taken from Wake Forest home.

April 7 – Janssen’s wife receives text messages with demands.

April 9 – Janssen rescued from Atlanta apartment by FBI agents.

April 9 – Five arrested in connection with abduction.

 

Read more:

FBI: 2 more charged with NC man’s kidnapping

NC inmate charged in kidnapping of DA's father

5 accused in NC abduction to have bond hearing

Authorities looking for suspects in NC kidnapping