by: Paige Hansen Updated:
UNION COUNTY, N.C. - A Union County mother said she has permanently removed her son from Rock Rest Elementary School after he came home with traumatic injuries.
The Union County Sheriff's department said it is now investigating her case.
Mother Tyisha Ratliff said she is frustrated with the way the school district handled the situation with her 5-year-old son who has cerebral palsy.
Ratliff said there are three teachers who oversee her son and 11 other students with special needs in the elementary school’s E-C Pre-K program.
Earlier in April, Ratliff said her son was inappropriately touched by another student while at school.
Ratliff showed Channel 9 medical documents and she said the doctors concluded her son had suffered trauma in his private area. She said she contacted the school and the Union County Sheriff’s Department, who is investigating.
“He has repeated this same exact story to every doctor he has seen, to the investigator,” Ratliff said.
However, Ratliff said she was disappointed by the response from school officials.
“Not only did they try to say he was a 5-year-old that didn't know what he was talking about, they didn't take my complaint seriously when I called and let them know I had medical paperwork. I just feel like they brushed me off,” she said.
Her son hasn’t been at Rock Rest since April 1, which is when she said this happened. Ratliff showed Channel 9 a letter she received last week where the district offered to move her son to a different classroom.
“He’s not going back to Rock Rest,” she said.
The district said it couldn't comment on this individual case, but sent a statement stating, "The safety and security of our students and staff is the union county public schools system's No. 1 priority."
Mother upset with how school handled son's traumatic injuries
Family defends SC woman accused of putting 4-day-old son in refrigerator
Surgical assistant arrested in drug trafficking scheme, Rowan Co. deputies say
Surveillance video catches group of women breaking into cars in Charlotte
Autopsy reveals CMPD recruit died from overheating