HUNTERSVILLE, N.C. - A Huntersville mother held a celebration of life for her 8-year-old son who died in a fire.
Nikkolas Pinkney and his mother were sleeping when a fire started in their home last year. A neighbor pulled Margretha Pinkney to safety, but couldn’t make it to Nikkolas.
There was not a working smoke detector in the house.
Margretha Pinkney is spreading the message about fire safety.
“I want to teach somebody and reach somebody so that they don’t have to stand in my shoes and they don’t have to have what I’m having today,” she said. “A memorial instead of having their child. That they know you need to have smoke alarms in your house.”
Margretha Pinkney launched a public awareness campaign with the Huntersville Fire Department. They have passed out hundreds of free smoke detectors this year.
Mother who lost son in fire raises awareness for smoke detectors
Police: Driver tries to hit pedestrian, later dies in north Charlotte wreck
Bank places 'lucky pennies' in Charlotte worth $1,000 each
Teen killed day before birthday in Steele Creek shooting, police say
Lockdown at Catawba Valley Community College lifted after threat