by: Natalie Pasquarella Updated:
CONOVER, N.C. - A 5-year-old girl was in shock Thursday to see her mother, who has been deployed overseas for six months.
Catherine Kelly, who serves in the Navy and was stationed in Bahrain, returned from her second deployment with the Navy. With the help of her family, she planned the perfect homecoming surprise at Concordia Christian Day School just as the students took their class picture. She surprised her daughter, Brianna.
Catherine Kelly's brother and sister-in-law have been taking care of Brianna since her mother's deployment.
Catherine Kelly told Channel 9 that the time away can take a toll.
"It's been rough, being away from your family members, especially your kids,” she said. “(You've) got to think that you do this for your family and it's your job."
"(I'm) so proud of Bri for being such a big girl through all this. She has really been a wonderful little grownup, almost, through this. She's handled it well,” sister-in-law Angie Kelly said.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Pregnant Food Network star killed, contractor charged
- Lockdown lifted at North Meck HS after report of shots fired in area
- Neighbor accused of standing naked in door charged before
- Fraternity suspended after USC student found dead
- CMPD: Adult club robbed in northeast Charlotte overnight
- CMS staff member suspended after pushing student in video
Navy mother surprises daughter after 6-month deployment
Heavy rain, strong winds remain threats as storm system moves toward Carolinas
Chase, crash shuts down highway in Concord, troopers say
Man shot 8 times, killed in Chesterfield County, deputies say
Severe weather kills 15 in Georgia and Mississippi, death toll could rise