CHARLOTTE, N.C. - A pedestrian died Saturday night after being struck by a Charlotte Area Transportation System light rail train at the intersection of South Boulevard and Clanton Road, officials said.
Charlotte-Mecklenburg police identified the victim as 60-year-old Laurence Burton Gray.
Investigators said Gray was crossing the tracks around 7:25 p.m. when he was hit and then pinned underneath the train.
The Charlotte Fire Department arrived shortly after the crash and extracted Gray, officials said.
Officials said Gray was taken to Carolinas Medical Center, where he later died from his injuries.
Authorities said alcohol use is suspected.
There were no reported injuries to passengers on board the train, officials said.
Authorities said the crash is still under investigation by CATS and CMPD.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Mom of woman in double murder-suicide: 'Her children were her world'
- WATCH: Is snow heading to the Carolinas?
- Huntersville neighbors shocked after deadly officer-involved shooting
- FORECAST: Sunny, chilly Monday ahead of midweek snow chances
- Crowds gather in Charlotte to honor Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
- Experts: Parents feed babies solid food too soon
© 2018 Cox Media Group.