Updated:CHESTERFIELD COUNTY, S.C. —
Deputies were on the scene of a deadly plane crash near Cheraw, in a swampy area of the Pee Dee River Thursday morning, according to Chesterfield County Sheriff Jay Brooks.
The small plane was missing around 10:15 a.m. along the Pee Dee River, off of Highway 52 North, according to Brooks.
Brooks told Channel 9 that the pilot was killed and that nobody else was on the plane.
Officials said a helicopter flying over the scene found some wreckage in a swampy area of the Pee Dee River and Brooks said an eyewitness saw the plane go down in the river.
Officials said they're having trouble getting to where the wreckage was because of how remote the area is.
Chopper 9 Skyzoom was over the scene of the wreckage and could see officials working. Channel 9 will have the latest updates to this developing story online and on air.
Read more top trending stories from wsoctv.com:
- Concord man arrested for not returning VHS rental 14 years later
- Drive a bit over the limit? North Carolina says that's too fast
- Busy Iredell County highway closed after deadly crash
- Police warn to keep vehicles locked after rash of bear break-ins
- SC mother says 11-year-old son died during 'pass-out game'
- McCrory signs bill striking down Charlotte LGBT bathroom ordinance
© 2016 Cox Media Group.
Sheriff: 1 dead after plane crashes in Pee Dee River in Chesterfield Co.
Man's body pulled from Lake Wylie, crews working separate water…
Salisbury police officer charged with stealing firearms
CDC: Whitewater Center systems inadequate to keep deadly amoeba out
Police looking for driver who hit woman, drove off in southwest Charlotte