by: Dave Faherty Updated:
CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Police arrested a man Tuesday night who they said is responsible for several armed robberies in Charlotte.
Richard Wager was arrested after a traffic stop on Farm Pond Lane.
Police said that Wager held up employees at three stores in three days.
One employee said he is relieved to learn Wager is in custody. The Dollar General Store employee said he's been living in fear since Wager walked into the store Saturday.
“Heart racing, it was scary,” the employee said. “It was only like 40 seconds, but thank God everyone went home safe. That's all that matters.”
Police said Wager may be linked to seven robberies around Charlotte, Matthews and Mint-Hill in just the past week.
“(He) took the money, came out, ran, jumped in a little silver PT Cruiser and took off,” the employee said.
After police arrested Wager, he was taken to police headquarters and told Eyewitness News he didn’t know why he was taken into custody.
“I didn't even know they had been robbed,” Wager said.
But the employee is positive police found their man.
“One hundred percent that's him,” the employee said. “He got the facial structure. He had on a baseball cap, but you can still tell that's him though.”
And he remembered exactly what happened inside the store.
He said the employee at the register hasn't been back at work since Saturday.
Timeline of incidents connected:
- May 1 - 5:22 p.m.: Angel Cleaners on Matthews Township Parkway in Matthews
- May 2 – 4:19 p.m.: The European Cleaners on Independence Boulevard in Matthews
- May 3 – 6:45 p.m.: Dollar General on East W.T. Harris Boulevard in Charlotte
- May 4 – 5:13 p.m.: Circle K on Idlewild Road in Charlotte
- May 5 – 3:45 p.m.: Dollar General on Albemarle Road in Charlotte
- May 5 – 4:02 p.m.: Dollar Tree on Matthews-Mint Hill Road in Mint Hill
- May 5 – 4:21 p.m.: Hancock Fabrics on Independence Boulevard in Matthews
For more local stories, click here.
Police arrest suspect connected to several armed robberies
CMPD: 18-year-old found shot, killed near elementary school
Man fends off would-be carjacker at Wesley Chapel shopping center
The Latest: Police says 5 people died in London attack
Gorsuch navigates full day of testimony as Senate battle percolates