by: Stephanie Coueignoux Updated:
CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Police are still searching for the person they said tried to break into a Cook-Out in north Charlotte.
A worker told Channel 9 he was unlocking the store Thursday morning when a masked man held him at gunpoint.
Police are reviewing video taken by the Cook-Out surveillance cameras, hoping to learn more about the man who they say tried to rob the restaurant.
Channel 9 spoke with the employee at the other end of the gun. He didn't want to go on camera, but shared his experience.
Channel 9 showed him surveillance video from a similar incident last month at a Kannapolis Cook-Out.
Police are looking at whether the two could be connected.
The employee told Channel 9 in his case, the masked suspect ran right up to him at the side door. That is the only door that allows access in and out of the building.
He said when the suspect turned away for a second, that's when he managed to run inside and lock the door. In both cases, the suspect ran off.
This is the same Cook-Out Channel 9 reported on back in March. That's when police arrested 3 men they say started shooting outside and injured 5 people.
“When you go to eat, you'd like to think that you're in a safe place- whether you're at home, at work, whether you're going to eat,” said Damon Ashworth.
One man said he likes to eat out in this area but always keeps his guard up.
“The police needs to start checking out these restaurants and stuff- keep an eye out on them,” Michael McClain said.
Crystal Desrosiers said she's glad the employee managed to escape unharmed.
“I don't know what I would have done in that situation,” she said.
Channel 9 has asked police for a copy of the surveillance video in this attempted robbery.
The same Cook-Out was the scene of a shooting that injured five people on March 30. Three people were arrested in that incident.
RELATED: 3 arrested in Cook-Out shooting
Police search for man who attempted to rob Cook-Out
11-year-old Catawba Co. girl vanishes after getting off school bus
Court records: Keith Scott served 7-year prison sentence for assault
Suspicious package removed from CMPD headquarters
Sponsored: Golf with Braylon Beam, celebrities to fight childhood cancer