CONCORD, N.C. - Candy McKnight stood in front of her mother's house in Concord and looked for the right words.
"Oh, my God," she said between pursed lips as the impact of what had happened began to sink in.
Twelve hours earlier her son, Arnold Bennett, 30, had been shot and killed at a home on NW Central Drive in Concord, and after 12 hours of intense investigation, police had still not charged anyone in his death.
"They just told me that he had got shot. That he'd been shot, either four or five times," McKnight said - information that had come from family members and friends.
Police spent more than 12 hours at the home, just off Highway 29 in Concord, and told Eyewitness News they had questioned several possible suspects but were not discussing any motive for the shooting.
They said Bennett knew people at the house and that the shooting was not a random one.
Bennett himself was no stranger to trouble. Prison records show he had been convicted as a teenager on robbery charges and spent several stints in prison since.
His mother, who now lives in Eden, N.C., said it would not surprise her if he had gone to the house looking for trouble.
"That could be possible. It could be possible, very possible," McKnight said.
While Bennett's mother looked for answers, his grandmother searched only for a measure of peace.
"I'm going through a difficult time right now. Just keep us in prayer and find out who did this to him, because Arnold was a good guy," Mary Dunn said Monday.
Sign up for breaking news alerts, click here.
To see more local news stories, click here.