by: Catherine Bilkey Updated:
CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Police are looking for the man they say gunned down a 17-year-old in Charlotte. Demontre Rice, 27, is the suspect in the case and is considered armed and dangerous.
Eyewitness News spoke with the mother of victim Stanley Taylor. She can't believe she's burying her first child because of senseless violence or that his accused killer is still on the loose.
"I just want everybody to keep my family in your prayers," Toshiba Taylor said.
She got a call early Saturday morning that her son had been shot on Lasalle Street.
"He was a mama's boy," Taylor said. "He was a happy kid. He enjoyed life."
Police say Rice shot the 17-year-old at a gas station. The victim was found a mile away from the crime scene at Statesville Avenue near I-85. Witnesses had driven him there after the shooting—and flagged down MEDIC. He was pronounced dead at the hospital.
"His life was just cut short—17," Taylor said. "He hadn't even had a chance. And all these young kids are being [taken] out so early and not even having a chance to enjoy life. It's just sad."
Advocates are calling again for a stop to the violence. The Million Youth March of Charlotte plans to honor Taylor's life at an event on Dec. 7.
"Stanley Taylor, one of my former students, he was a good kid," Mario Black, with MYMOC, said. "I had him in elementary school many years ago --and it just hurt me to learn about his passing."
When Black heard the name on the news—he called Taylor.
"For a mom to say Mario, my 17-year-old son, my baby, is gone, that brought tears to my eyes," Black said. "Something has to be done."
Organizers hope to raise awareness and unite the community against violence through a toy drive on Dec. 7 at McClintock Middle School. There will also be free haircuts for students from 12 to 3 p.m. For more information, email organizers at email@example.com.
Police search for accused gunman who shot, killed 17-year-old
DOT worker falls off bridge, drowns in Catawba River, officials say
Part of East Independence Boulevard shut down due to sinkhole
Exonerated Charlotte man who served 25 years in prison sues city, investigators
Parents warned about clown luring kids into woods in South Carolina