by: Greg Suskin Updated:
FORT MILL, S.C. - Brandon Mayer, 17, is charged with two counts of sexual exploitation of a minor, and disturbing schools.
Fort Mill police said last month Mayer was in class at Fort Mill High School when he allegedly showed a cellphone video of a sex act between himself and an ex-girlfriend. There was a video and nude photos, police said. The girl did not know she had been recorded.
Fort Mill parents hearing about it were shocked.
"It's disgusting. As a parent, if something like that happened to my kids, I'd probably go off the deep end," said Joseph Edenburn.
On Monday, Mayer turned himself in to officers at the Fort Mill Police Department.
Fort Mill school officials said sexting is a rampant and growing problem. Some national statistics show that 60 percent of high school students have either sent or received an obscene text message containing nudity.
Fort Mill Assistant Superintendent Tommy Schmolze said sexting has the potential to impact every family.
"I'm scared to death, as a father, to see what these kids of are going through," he said.
Schmolze said students at Fort Mill High School did the right thing by telling their teacher.
"Obviously it caused a disruption in the classroom, and because of that we had more witnesses involved," he said.
Channel 9 went by Mayer's house Wednesday afternoon to speak to his parents, but no one answered the door. School officials said typically students charged with disturbing schools are recommended for expulsion. They could not comment specifically on Mayer's case.
Mayer is still in jail on a bond of more than $52,000.
School officials said it was ironic that this incident happened when it did. That's because on Thursday morning, the Fort Mill and Rock Hill school districts plan to publicly unveil a new effort to combat sexting.
School districts have been working with the solicitor's office for about a month coming up with the plan.
Channel 9 will be there for that announcement in Rock Hill.
To see more local news stories, click here.