September 14, 2013
- Around 2:30 a.m. Saturday Jonathan Ferrell knocked on a woman's door on Reedy Creek Road, possibly looking for help after a car accident.
- The woman thought it was her husband at the door, so she answered it, and got scared when she saw Ferrell, closing the door on him.
- The resident called 911.
- Three officers arrived moments later.
- When police got there, they said Ferrell, who wasn't armed, ran toward them.
- One officer tried to hit Ferrell with a stun gun.
- The stun gun didn't phase Ferrell, who kept running toward Officer Randall Kerrick.
- Kerrick shot and killed Ferrell at the scene.
- Late Saturday, Chief Rodney Monroe determined Kerrick used excessive force to defend himself and was charged with voluntary manslaughter.
- Kerrick was released from jail on bond.
- The other two officers who were on scene were placed on paid leave.
<iframe src='//cdn.knightlab.com/libs/timeline/latest/embed/index.html?source=1kqkmqUJh92UIDgCILOFF3HXtO4gJ4bsyIzb6kJr1AF0&font=Bevan-PotanoSans&maptype=toner&lang=en&height=650' width='100%' height='650' frameborder='0'></iframe>