DARE COUNTY, N.C. - A Navy crew is headed to a newly formed island off the coast of North Carolina to determine if an object found there is a military device.
The sandbar, known as Shelly Island, formed off Hatteras Island in the Outer Banks.
(Photo from Dare County Emergency Management)
The object found on Shelly Island is heavily encrusted with marine growth, according to Channel 9’s TV partner WTVD.
The Dare County Emergency Management blocked access to the new island while a military bomb disposal team investigates the object.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Father leaves baby behind during Charlotte apartment fire
- US Appeals court says prayers at Rowan County meetings unconstitutional
- WATCH: Keith Monday's Friday forecast outlook
- Sammy Sosa's latest change in appearance draws speculation, commentary
- Woman sees drone outside uptown high-rise apartment window
© 2017 Cox Media Group.
Possible military device discovered on newly formed NC island
Missing 12-year-old found, reported safe
Two men in Chesterfield Co. brutally attack woman after armed robbery
Sister of man shot, killed by police after tri-county chase, shootout…
Police investigate 3rd suspicious death in Florida community