CHARLOTTE, N.C. - A man has been treated for injuries after being bitten while swimming in the Atlantic Ocean off South Carolina's coast, but officials have not determined if his attacker was a shark.
News outlets report that the unidentified victim told law enforcement and rescue officials that he was bitten Thursday during a morning swim, but was able to kick his foot free and swim to shore. He did not see what bit him. The Georgetown County Sheriff's Office says he suffered a 4-inch cut and puncture wounds and was treated at a hospital.
Midway Fire and Rescue Chief Doug Eggiman says officials do not know what bit the man.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Six Gaston County firefighters walk out after two were dismissed
- Mooresville man reported missing by family
- UNCC student's 2008 murder case heads back to court
- WATCH: Keith Monday's Thursday forecast
- Social media video threatens ‘war' on elementary school
- VIDEO: John Ahrens sings National Anthem at Charlotte Knights game
© 2018 Cox Media Group.