by: Ken Lemon Updated:GASTONIA —
A two-car accident Tuesday morning killed a pregnant woman in Gastonia. Her baby was born and rescued but later died at a hospital.
Officials said Rebecca Hodge Williams, 24, was driving when her car crashed into another vehicle on County Line Road in Gastonia.
Williams was due on Jan. 19. She died at the scene.
The first trooper to arrive began performing CPR to keep oxygen to the baby until EMS arrived.
“God put me in the right place at the right time,” said the trooper who performed CPR on Williams.
A nurse driving by also stopped to help with CPR.
The baby was delivered at Gaston Regional Hospital by Cesarean section and then transported to Levine Children’s Hospital in Charlotte. His name was Riley Andrew Williams; he weighed 7 pounds and 5 ounces.
The father was able to hold the baby before he died.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Troopers: School bus driver to be charged following crash that injured 21 students
- CMPD: Woman shot at same apartment complex where man was killed hours earlier
- Story of abandoned newborn gaining national attention
- Fire causes $500K damage at Panthers' coach Ron Rivera's home
- Truck driver in crash that killed Union Co. deputy to face judge