Police chief: Report of baby abandoned in dumpster a hoax

Updated:

KANNAPOLIS, N.C. - A woman reported that she found a newborn Friday afternoon in a dumpster outside a McDonald’s, our news partner the Kannapolis Independent Tribune is reporting.

However, Kannapolis Police Chief Woody Chavis said there were questions surrounding the story and later determined the story was a hoax.

A 21-year-old woman admitted to self-delivering the child sometime earlier in the day at her home in Concord, police said.

A woman told police she left the McDonald’s at 350 S. Cannon Blvd. around 1:30 p.m. and heard a baby crying near the dumpster.

"After viewing security footage it appears that the baby was not ever placed near the dumpster at the McDonald's in Kannapolis," Chavis said.

The woman took the baby to Carolinas Medical Center – Northeast. The chief said the baby is OK.