LANCASTER COUNTY, S.C. - Over the last two weeks the Lancaster County Sheriff’s Office has been investigating a pattern of unusual incidents occurring at churches throughout the county.
Within two weeks 10 churches were entered by an unknown suspect or suspects. In some of the cases damage was caused during entry.
In all but two of the incidents no items of significant value were stolen. In several of the incidents the suspect did not steal anything. In the other incidents the suspect stole unusual items, such as a water hose, food, motor oil and the burner off of a stove.
These are the 10 churches:
- Camp Creek AME Zion Church, 4022 Demount Road
- Rocky Branch Baptist Church, 8407 Taxahaw Road
- Faith Baptist Church, 4695 JB Denton Road
- Camp Creek United Methodist, 4721 Great Falls Highway
- Bethel Baptist Church, 2893 Bethel Road
- Gold Hill AME Zion Church, 9239 Van Wyck Road
- Madeonia Missionary Baptist Church, 8805 Van Wyck Road
- St. Paul AME Zion Church, 5841 Taxahaw Road
- Beaver Creek Presbyterian Church, 1928 Kershaw Country Club Road
- Old Waxhaw Presbyterian Church, 2814 Old Hickory Road
Criminal investigators and crime scene investigators have responded to the scenes and began detailed investigations. Deputies have also increased patrols in the area of the churches.
“We are working diligently to determine who is responsible for these incidents. Suspects who would burglarize a place of worship do not deserve to be free on the street and we will do everything possible to make sure they are brought to justice,” said Sheriff Barry Faile.
The Lancaster County Sheriff’s Office is asking anyone with information on the identity or location of those responsible for this or any crimes in the Lancaster area to call the Lancaster County Sheriff’s Office at 803-283-4136 or contact Crimestopper’s at 1-888-Crime SC (1-888-274-6372) or you can e-mail or text your anonymous tip to: www.midlandscrimestoppers.com.
Sheriff: 10 churches broke into, few items stolen
Citizens voice outrage at city council meeting
Couple ties knot at vandalized hotel during uptown protests
MINUTE-BY-MINUTE: Man shot by Charlotte police was sold stolen gun, CMPD says
Sponsored: Golf with Braylon Beam, celebrities to fight childhood cancer