by: Mark Becker Updated:
CHARLOTTE, N.C. - The mother of a Charlotte teenager charged with shooting three people near a school bus stop Thursday afternoon said she believes he fired the shots out of fear.
“He's never had trouble like this before. Not here, not in Florida,” Lakesha Woods told Eyewitness News on Friday.
Woods said her son, Anthony Williams, 17, had been in a long-running feud with several other teenagers who had beaten him up several months ago, and that the feud boiled over Thursday when he went to meet a friend at the bus stop on Milton Road.
That’s where police said Williams pulled a gun and started shooting, hitting three teenagers before he took off.
“I don't know where he got the gun from, I don't know how he got it. I'm so disappointed that it even had to get to that,” Woods said.
IMAGES: Scene of shooting
Police are still not sure where Williams got the gun, and they said more charges may follow.
But Wood said her son was wracked by guilt when he called her Thursday night.
“He called me and he said, "Something bad happened today and said ‘what should I do?' I said, ‘you have to turn yourself in.’”
Woods said she told her son to pray, and that soon after that Williams called police and turned himself in.
He is charged with six counts of assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill and will make his first court appearance Monday.
“My entire family is praying, not only for him but for the other children that were involved, the teenagers,” she said.
Teen gunman to mother: 'Something bad happened today'
Meck. County holds public forum Tuesday night on MLS proposal
Airline contractor at airport exposes himself to 16-year-old girl, sources say
Charlotte pastor, wife expecting twins after losing sons in 2015 crash
'SNL' writer suspended for tweet about Barron Trump