Police search for fourth suspect in string of robberies

by: Catherine Bilkey Updated:

Loading
KANNAPOLIS, N.C. —

Only one of four suspects connected to a string of armed robberies remains on the loose. Police in Kannapolis made their third arrest Saturday. Eyewitness News spoke to one of the victims.

Michael Shoe is still shaken. Saturday was his first day back on the job since the robbery. He's relieved that police have arrested the man accused of pointing a shotgun at him.

"It was the scariest thing of my life. I thought that was it," Shoe said.

Shoe said a man armed with a shotgun demanded money and cigarettes from him. He said at that moment he accepted that he was about to be robbed and just tried to survive.

"When he cocked the pump, the shell fell out so I knew it was loaded," Shoe said.

He said he gave the man what he asked for: "If you stay calm, your chances of surviving are a lot more than if you freak out."

On Saturday, Shoe was back behind the counter at this Wilco-Hess on North Cannon. He's admittedly a little shaky.

"Everything that comes in, I'm jumpy," Shoe said. "I just accept it because this is my life now."

Three convenience stores were hit in the Kannapolis area and one in China Grove during the last week and a half, including Shoe's store on Thursday.

Detectives said they arrested 26-year-old Megan Chambers, 19-year-old Johntavious Lamont McGrant-Billings and 33-year-old DeAngelo Chisolm. They said they're still looking for Brandel Lowe for his connection with two of the robberies.

Shoe is glad so many of the suspects are off the street.

"They should have been caught a long time ago," Shoe said. "It shouldn't have lasted this long, but I'm glad that they are."