CALDWELL COUNTY, N.C. - A Caldwell County Grand Jury indicted the mayor of Sawmills for allegedly writing thousands of dollars of bogus checks.
Mayor Bob Gibbs is charged with 12 counts of forgery.
Gibbs told Channel 9 the case did not involve town funds and he plans on paying restitution to a family member.
He will represent himself in court.
More trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Gas odor prompts evacuation of dozens from daycare
- Deputies: Family held at gunpoint during home invasion
- Police: Toddler found wandering naked, covered in feces
- Boy with brittle bone disease to receive new wheelchair next week
- Police: Driver of moped killed trying to elude police identified
Town mayor indicted on 12 counts of forgery
Person seriously injured by gunshot in northwest Charlotte park, authorities say
Neighbor who tried to help wants justice for 6-month-old's death
CMS to hold meetings about proposed boundary changes
Trump: North Korea 'disrespected' China with missile test