CALDWELL COUNTY, N.C. - A Caldwell County Grand Jury indicted the mayor of Sawmills for allegedly writing thousands of dollars of bogus checks.
Mayor Bob Gibbs is charged with 12 counts of forgery.
Gibbs told Channel 9 the case did not involve town funds and he plans on paying restitution to a family member.
He will represent himself in court.
More trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Gas odor prompts evacuation of dozens from daycare
- Deputies: Family held at gunpoint during home invasion
- Police: Toddler found wandering naked, covered in feces
- Boy with brittle bone disease to receive new wheelchair next week
- Police: Driver of moped killed trying to elude police identified
Town mayor indicted on 12 counts of forgery
Missing 11-year-old Catawba Co. girl has been found safe
Authorities investigate fatal wreck in north Charlotte
Panthers fullback Mike Tolbert pays Charlotte body shop $3,900 in coins
Sponsored: Golf with Braylon Beam, celebrities to fight childhood cancer