• Cigarette blamed for fire that left woman in critical condition

    By: Alexa Ashwell

    Updated:

    CRAMERTON, N.C. - Fire crews had to rescue a woman from a burning home in Cramerton late Monday night.

    A newspaper delivery driver noticed the fire and called 911 around 11:30 p.m.

    Firefighters responded to the First Street home. When they arrived, they found the woman collapsed in the entry way of her bedroom. They believe she was trying to escape the heavy smoke. Firefighters pulled the woman out of the burning home, where medics resuscitated her.

    She was then flown by helicopter to the hospital in critical condition, according to officials.

    Officials said an improperly discarded cigarette caused the woman’s bedroom to catch fire.

    No one else was in the home, but her dog died in the fire.

    The fire chief stressed the importance of properly discarding smoking material. He also commended the department for their quick response, and the driver for being alert.

    “It’s very important for situational awareness. In this neighborhood the houses are real close together so seconds matter,” said Cramerton Fire Department Chief Lance Foulk.


    Next Up: