• Woman wants to help others 1 year after daughter injured in incident on I-77

    By: Allison Latos


    CHARLOTTE, N.C. - One year ago, Channel 9 covered a frightening scene on Interstate 77. A father ran into traffic with his 2-year-old daughter in his arms.

    The little girl and her mother spoke to Eyewitness News about her recovery and how the family plans to help other women facing domestic violence. 

    Lizziah Summers is now 3 years old. She is bouncing full of energy and enjoys singing her ABCs.

    Her mother, Lativia McClain, didn't think she'd ever share those playful moments.

    Police said Lizziah's father, Derrick Summers, attempted suicide with his daughter by running into traffic on I-77.

    Both of them survived, but the battle for the little girl was tough. She suffered a fractured spine, punctured spleen and liver. She was hospitalized for 42 days.

    Lizziah still has a feeding tube, but the only visible sign of her injuries is a fading scar on her face.

    “She doesn't even pay attention to the scar," McClain said.

    Summers is serving up to 11 years in prison. He pleaded guilty in November to attempted first-degree murder.

    “I feel like he did the right thing, which was tell the truth," McClain said. "I don't have hard feelings because life still has to go on.”

    McClain had a protective order against Summers before the accident, but he had visitation.

    Lizziah will likely be a teen when her father is free. McClain will let her decide if they ever speak.

    "It will be from a distance, but if she feels within herself that she wants to make amends, that's what it will be," she said.

    Until then, McClain is focusing on helping other women.

    “I'm ready to get out and advocate a little and be a help to someone else. A traumatic situation like that will take a toll on you," McClain said.

    Eyewitness News reached out to Summers through the Department of Corrections and offered him a chance to speak. He denied the request for an interview.

    Next Up: